Coach Spencer Runs in the Woods

Coach Spencer Runs in the Woods

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Rotten Recovery

I am amazed everything felt fine during the 50 mile night run this week. I wouldn't say I felt great, but not to have the hint of a problem for 9 hours is fantastic. The days since then haven't been so good though. I haven't been sore at all. Strange. Had other problems though.

24 hours after the run, I spent the night throwing up. Not sure why. Spent most of yesterday in bed. I ate a cup of rice & 1/2 can of beans at 3 PM & a decent dinner, but that's all I felt like eating all day. Today, I woke up at 6:30 AM & had a Powerbar before practice. Ran 2 loops of the 5K XC course at Wingate University & picked it up the last 2 miles. Afterwards, I mowed my parents' grass & then came home & mowed my own. Hot today. By 3:30 PM, all I'd had to eat all day was that Powerbar. I did drink a lot. I was making something to eat & ended up on the kitchen floor. Jennifer said I was leaning on the counter mumbling & she lowered me to the ground. I think I was only passed out or whatever for a minute, but I was very much out of it for 20 minutes & fuzzy for 30 minutes after that. From 5 PM on, things have been OK & I ate like a normal person.

I always stress taking care of your body & the importance of recovery to my athletes, but I guess I should take my own advice. Crummy last 2 days. Yesterday was my birthday too. :(

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take care of yourself Coach.

Jason said...

Sounds like a decent rest period is in store for you. I'm sure you have a lot on your mind with school cranking back up too. Take care.

David Ray said...

Dude, eat some food!! :)

Cool Down Runner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cool Down Runner said...

On hot day it is too easy to get dehydrated even if you drink plenty of fluids.

Hope, all is better now.