Coach Spencer Runs in the Woods

Coach Spencer Runs in the Woods

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Lots of Work Ahead

Summer is over. Good. It wasn’t a good one for me personally . Running was good but other than that… I won’t get into all of that, but I’ve come to the realization that I just need structure in my life. Being a teacher and having summers free sounds great to most people but I’d rather be in school. It's been a long time since I've written here, but the running's been good.

The summer running was a lot different than most years. 3 years ago, I tried to get in as many miles as possible. Got in at least 300 miles each of the 3 summer months and my summers usually have some really long slogs in the woods where I’m pretty sure a family of bears is ready to rip my limbs off. I did plenty of trail running but I wouldn’t call it the wilderness. I ran far more miles on roads, paved greenways, and wide, groomed paths than I have in years. I’m not going to get my “crazy, ultra trail running dude” card revoked am I? This summer, I ran much faster than ever before but the mileage wasn’t as high. I averaged about 50 miles/week this summer with one week in the 80s and one higher than that with the 102 miles at Black Mountain Monster. I ran two good marathons at Seattle and Grandfather Mountain (pacing Shannon, but couldn’t have run much faster) this summer.

At Brevard Distance Runners Camp in July, I had the team write down personal goals. I wrote down my goals for the team as well as my personal running goals. Having them in black & white in front of me made them more real. Putting them in the blog makes them even more real.

• 5K under 18:00 (completed August 20- 17:52)
• 10K under 40:00 (completed August 2- 37:54 solo on a track)
• Marathon under 3:00
• Frosty 50K under 4:00
• 110 miles at Hinson Lake 24 Hour Run

These are really lofty goals. I have set PRs in everything from 5K-24 Hours these past 6 months. I have a lot work ahead of me but I feel good about it.

No comments: