Coach Spencer Runs in the Woods

Coach Spencer Runs in the Woods

Monday, September 1, 2008

Saw a Bear!




Decided the day before to go run some of the AT. Saw a bear yesterday while running from Watauga Lake to Dennis Cove & back. It was about 60 yards away & ran away as soon as it saw me. I was way more calm than I thought I'd be. I've been preparing for this day for a long time. :) Lot of rocks. Going north up Pond Mountain is tough (1700' climb). Laurel Falls is supposed to be one of the best on the entire Appalachian Trail.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

COACH!!!!! LOOK OUT!!!! THERE'S A BEAR BEHIND YOU!!!!!

Doc Curtis said...

I saw a black bear swimming across Watauga Lake recently... I think I'd rather try to outrun than outswim one!

Meggan Goodpasture said...

I'm not sure if you ment you had been preparing for meeting a bear for a long time or preparing to run that section of the trail, but if you ment meeting a bear, did you ring a bell or have bear spray?, and I would hazard a guess that you might have been moving so fast that you could have caught it.

Coach Spencer said...

Nah, just waiting for the day I'd see my first bear and planning what I'd do. Went much better than I expected. No bell or spray. Just singing and yelling. It was about 60 yards away, but it was running away when I saw it. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Great race Saturday, Coach! Thanks for putting it on. My shoes will never be the same color!