Coach Spencer Runs in the Woods

Coach Spencer Runs in the Woods

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Astounding Strategy for 24 Hours

My mindset in other 24 hour races has been, "This is going to be rough," and my strategy has been, "Just hang on for 24 hours and do what you can. If that's 70, so be it. If it's 100, great." I have an astounding new strategy this time- RUN A LOT OF MILES! Revolutionary, I know. I have GOT to minimize the breaks... and not even so much the four or five :20 rest breaks, but the little, "Hmm, what do I need?" breaks I tend to take at the end of each lap or two. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I honestly think I run fairly quickly in these events but waste so much time not running, it costs me. I'm going to get out and run at a decent clip for the first 30-40 miles and then go from there. Too often I look at my watch and say, "5 hour marathon? How did that happen? I thought I was running 9:00 miles." I think the truth is I AM running 9:00 miles, but also taking time to go to the bathroom, fix my clothes, decide what to eat, talk to people at aid stations, etc. I need to keep moving!

No comments: