Coach Spencer Runs in the Woods

Coach Spencer Runs in the Woods

Monday, December 27, 2010

Freedom Park 24 Hour This Week! Now Hear This!

Freedom Park 24 Hour Run is this Friday-Saturday and I'm really looking forward to it. I didn't enjoy myself last year... absolutely no fault of the race director and volunteers. David, Rhonda & the Brown Mountain Running Club do an amazing job with this race but last year, I dunno... I came in undertrained and not used to asphalt. It drizzled & was about 35 degrees all day and night. Most people seemed to be in a bubble to me, but I read a lot of positive reports on it afterwards, so maybe it was just me that was in a bad mood! :) I left after 17 hours & 70 miles of sore legs last year.

Anyway, I'm excited about it and ready for it this year. I ran several long runs on roads lately to prepare for the 1 mile asphalt loop. Yeah, I said 1 mile asphalt loop! I've lost some weight. I've been doing hard workouts faster than I ever have as an adult. My long runs have been problem-free. It's time to set a goal. Haven't done that in a long time. 100 miles. Plenty of people run 100 miles in 24 hours. It was my goal at Rocky Raccoon 2009, but things happen. I've run 100 miles and four 24 hour races and still haven't quite got in 100 miles in 24 hours. It's not a particularly lofty goal but instead of saying, "We'll see," like I normally do, I will consider anything under 100 miles disappointing this time around. There, I said it.

I anticipate great weather, feeling good and getting in a lot of miles. Why does that seem weird. I usually expect the worst, and for the last few months, I've been visualizing brutally cold temps. 2 years ago, I understand it was something like 15 degrees with 40 mph winds! Last year was cold and wet the whole time. I usually do look forward to adversity (why?), but great weather is OK too, isn't it?? Forecast has changed a little the past couple of days but now says high of 52 and low of 36. Short sleeves & shorts! Totally not expected, but it should be good. I ran 92.26 miles in 24 hours in September when it was 95 degrees. I feel better equiped now and conditions will be much better.

Can't wait!

1 comment:

Texas Pete said...

I realize the appeal of these things is the suffering but a nice warm winter day is a good thing isn't it? It sounds like you're more than ready for this! Go make it happen!